Spring is finally upon us and we’re in the "home stretch”. I’m sure everyone is focusing on preparing students for exams, recitals, and/or festivals. Your executive has also been busy and it seems this is a good time to pass on some updates.
News from the BCRMTA Provincial Council and the CFMTA
- We are now officially the Vancouver/Burnaby Branch! As per a directive from the members at the 2019 Branch AGM, a motion was put forward and was passed. Changes have already been made on our Branch website and the Provincial website will be updated in the coming weeks.
- Of Note - The Provincial Council voted to participate in a CFMTA program called Of Note. This monthly bulletin will summarize events, updates, and/or opportunities provided by the national body. It's a great way for CFMTA to communicate directly with members and it should start arriving in your email inbox next month.
Up Coming Branch Events
For details/RSVP on all events go to https://bcrmta.org/category/branch-calendar/
- May 12 - Spring Student RecitalsThree afternoon recitals will be held at the Shadbolt Centre, we look forward to hearing a variety of levels and styles.
- May 13 - 10:00am Branch Meeting on Improvisation with Boris Favreat Showcase Pianos. Mr. Favre will work with members to help us become more comfortable with improvising. There will be 2-3 people per piano/keyboard which means lots of opportunities to test out ideas before passing them on to your students.
- May 25 - 7:00pm Annie Cao, 2018 BC Piano Competition winner, in recital.Ms. Cao is a student of David Vandereyk and she will be representing our Province at the CFMTA Conference in Winnipeg in July. This is a free event at the Immanuel Baptist Church so be sure to pass the information on to your students and their families. Everyone is welcome and the Branch will be hosting a reception afterwards.
- May 31 Student Bursary Deadline
- June 3- 10:30am Branch Luncheon at the Oakridge Whitespot In addition to enjoying good company and tasty food, we will be honouring five teachers who will be receiving their 25 years pins.
Branch Projects for 2019/2020
- Our website now has aMembers Onlypage which contains the 2019 AGM Minutes and Financial Statements as well as the updated Bylaws. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get the password.
- Online registration for all festivals and recitalsAs of September 2019, entries and payments for all Branch recitals, the CMW Festival and the SPG Festival will be made online. The new webpages will be launched in a few weeks and will greatly streamline the registration process for teachers, parents, and committee volunteers.
- The CMW Festival 2019is all set to go for next November with Sandra Joy Friesen as the adjudicator, registration will open in September.
- Another round of Introductory Alexander Lessonswill be offered on Tuesday mornings in October 2019. More information will be available after the summer holidays.
- The Mary Tickner Memorial Pedagogy Awardis now in place for 2019 and an information page will soon be posted on the website. Teachers will be able to submit candidates who have completed their pedagogy diplomas through the RCM, BCCM, or CC systems. The deadline for applications will be February 15, 2020 and the cash award will be presented to the candidate with the highest mark at the Celebration of Excellence in March.
- Spring 2020 Special Events We are currently working to bring Forrest Kinney to Vancouver for a four hour improvisation workshop in the Spring of 2020, we’ll keep you posted once details are confirmed.
- Plans are underway for the SPG in 2020.The festival will run during the first week of May at the Unitarian Centre (Oak and 49th). The new SPG committee meets for its inaugural session next week and information will be forwarded to the membership in the coming months.
Have a wonderful Spring,
BCRMTA Vancouver/Burnaby Branch