- You must be at a RCM Grade 10 level or higher including theory requirements.
- You must be currently studying with a member of the BC Registered Music Teachers’ Association.
- You must be a minimum of 16 years of age.
- Once a degree or diploma is granted, membership is valid for up to four more years.
- Membership is valid for up to seven years in total, not necessarily in succession.
- It is expected and highly encouraged that members will be currently teaching or have the intent to teach within the first year of membership.
- Attendance is expected at a minimum of seven of the ten planned events.
How to Join
If you qualify, you may join the Student Teachers' Auxiliary at any time. There are three types of membership:
- For those who wish to have full benefits, including access to the monthly workshops, student recitals and festivals hosted by the parent branch, a group liability insurance policy, discounted tickets to the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, discounts at Long and McQuade, and a subscription of 3 issues to Progressions, the BCRMTA provincial magazine, please download and complete the application form found on this website. Send this form along with two cheques, one cheque for $55 made out to BCRMTA and one cheque for $75 made out to Vancouver Student Teachers’ Auxiliary, to the provincial registrar whose address is listed at the bottom of the form. Full STA members will be listed on the Vancouver Branch web site identified as Student Teachers' Auxiliary members. After active participation in the Student Teachers’ Auxiliary you will be considered for membership into the parent branch of the BC Registered Music Teachers’ Association.
- For those who wish to join the STA WITHOUT full benefits of full membership, that is, to attend monthly STA events only, please complete the application form found on this website and send this with a cheque for $75 made out Vancouver Student Teachers’ Auxiliary to the STA treasurer.
- For current members of the STA who wish to extend their membership to the end of the school term (June-July) and who will not be able to continue their membership in September of the year that their annual fees expire, please contact the STA liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org. A fee of $35.00 will cover the costs of attending all workshops and events until the end of June/July of the year the STA membership expires. Please make a cheque out to Student Teachers' Auxiliary and send this to the STA Treasurer.
Nicholas Tong - STA Treasurer
707 West King Edward Ave,
Vancouver, BC, V5Z 2C7
Fee Schedule for 2018-2019
Full STA members joining March 1 - July 31 pay the provincial fee of $55 and the branch fee of $75. Full STA members joining August 1 - December 31 pay the provincial fee of $45 and the branch fee of $65.
STA members joining without full benefits would pay the above branch fees only, that is, $75 if joining March 1 - July 31 or $65 if joining August 1 - December 31.
Once you have decided to join and for more information please contact the STA liaison at email@example.com.
Membership and participation in the STA is an excellent way to gain confidence and skills in teaching in a friendly and supportive environment. We look forward to having you join our group!