Student Teacher Auxiliary
Why become a Member?
The Vancouver Branch Registered Music Teachers'
Association, part of BC Registered Music Teacher Assciation, encourages the
highest calibre of music education and promotes high standards of music in the
community. Activities include workshops, master classes, recitals and SPG music
festival. Prospective members of the Association must hold a degree or diploma from a recognized university or conservatory, or meet the necessary qualifications set down by the registering province. The provincial association is affiliated with the national association, the Canadian Federation of Music Teachers' Associations (CFMTA).
The Vancouver Branch Registered Music Teachers' Association provides:
- High musical and academic qualifications among its teachers
- Progressive ideas on the teaching of music
- Workshops and lectures for continued education of teachers
- Attendance at the National and Provincial Conventions
- Cultural events in the communities
- Awareness of contemporary Canadian music
Subjects of instruction offered by teachers of the Vancouver Branch BCRMTA include:
- Brass instruments:
- French Horn
- Early Beginner
- Ear Training
- Kelly Kirby
- Keyboard Harmony
- Double Bass
- Sight Reading
- Theoretical Subjects:
- Keyboard Harmony
- Teachers' Written
- Viva Voce
- English Horn
- Bass Clarinet
Benefits of Membership
- Online Teachers Referral. Family and student can search a teacher
in the area they prefer by simply clicking the button "Find a Teacher".
- Teacher workshops.
- Annual award of scholarships and bursaries.
- Student recitals.
- Student Master Classes.
- Newsletters. 3 times a year - April, September, and
- Student Performers' Guild Festival. The Vancouver Branch BCRMTA Student Performers' Guild (SPG) Festival,
held in May and November and is open to students of members and non-members. Adjudicators from across Canada, the United States and England are often invited to adjudicate student performances. The SPG Festival hosts Honor Recitals at the conclusion of the festival. SPG Adjudicators and Guild committee members award class trophies and scholarships in the Junior, Intermediate and Senior divisions. These recitals present unique opportunities for students, parents and teachers to hear the high calibre of student performance in Vancouver and to appreciate the many hours of dedicated work students spend preparing for public recitals and music festivals.
- Student Teacher Auxiliary. The Vancouver Branch BCRMTA has a very active Student Teacher Auxiliary. Students who are studying with a Vancouver Branch member and working towards a teaching diploma are encouraged to join. Monthly meetings, workshops and recitals under the direction of a master teacher are only part of the benefits of Student Teacher Auxiliary membership.
Membership is open to:
- Any person who holds a music teacher's certificate or diploma from any School of Music recognized by the Provincial Council, or a University music degree with a major in the instrument or subject of instruction stated in the application.
- Any person who holds a music performer's diploma or degree and who has a record of four years' teaching of subjects recognized by the Board of Examiners.
- Any registered music teacher from another province in Canada.
Members must be residents of British Columbia, be a least 18 years of age and pay official fees to the treasurer of BCRMTA.
How to Apply for Membership
Please contact Membership Chair for details.